Hey, it’s time to “fall” into fun! Traveling anywhere right now is mostly NSFW (not safe for wallets) so we have been on the lookout for family-friendly and frugal ideas to help fill your bucket list. Read on for penny-wise activities your whole family will appreciate.
The Small Town Experience
With costs on the rise everywhere, small towns like the ones nestled here in the North Carolina Piedmont are having a bit of a fall “hay” day. Where else can you travel such a short distance to such big fun?
Life is best taken in slow-motion and we invite you to slow down with us. Take a scenic country drive, visit unique boutiques where you will find simple luxuries. Enjoy farm-to-table dining, visit Davie County’s vineyards & wineries, or play a game of golf.
Davie County’s small towns are proving that new experiences don’t have to cost a lot to enrich your life. Mocksville, Bermuda Run, Advance, and Cooleemee each have distinctive places to stay, eat, and shop. There are scores of things to do- all near you.
Filling Up That Fall Bucket List
Small communities have a lot going for them all year long but as the summer fun winds down, the autumnal activities pick up. We wrote the book (or at least the list!) on having a good time while avoiding big-city crowds, and saving money. So we decided to let you in on our Davie County Fall bucket list.
Fall Activities Near Me – What to do This Fall?
- Shop for Fall decor and more at unique boutiques. Small towns like ours have shops where you will find everything that makes your house a home- with an affordable price tag. You can purchase antiques, local pottery, and handcrafted luxuries such as goat’s milk soap or hemp oil balms.
- Take a painting or crafting class and create your own decor. If you are visiting Mocksville, stop by COGNITION and let the kids check out the hands-on exhibits and Makerspace. Or sign up for a grown-up night out and take a class that shows you how to create fun and practical handicrafts. Or step into your creative journey and craft some pottery at Stepping Stones Pottery studio!
- Get outdoors and take a quick hike at a Davie County Park. Grab our Nature Scavenger Hunt printable and beat the southern fall heat with these short hike ideas. After your hike grab a bite at a local restaurant or cool off with some ice cream from Sam’s in Bermuda Run or Scoops in historic Mocksville.
- Visit a Sunflower Maze like the one at The Fields at Sunflower Trails or a local pumpkin patch like the one at Koren Farms. There are special events happening year round so be sure to bookmark their websites and look them up on Facebook and Instagram.
- Happiness is a Fall Festival. Davie County has some great ones going on including the Oaks Festival every year.
- If you live near a farmers market, you’ll find fresh produce, local products, and friendly people. Pick a pumpkin and carve it together. Davie County Farms and farmers markets have just the perfect pumpkin waiting for your family!
Weekly Farmers Markets
Smith Grove Farmer’s Market – May Through October
Saturdays, 1-3:30 p.m.
3492 US Hwy 158, Mocksville
- Stay home and relax around a cozy bonfire. Toast some marshmallows or sip hot cocoa and apple cider for a true taste of the season.
- Visit a petting zoo like the one at God’s Country Alpacas, Koren Farms and SkyBrooke Farm have animals and learning opportunities galore!
- Picnic in the perfect spot at RiverPark in Cooleemee. There is nothing more fun than wading in the water and then grilling out- you may even find food trucks there on a weekend.
- Rake up a pile and jump in the fallen leaves. Fall is a great time for outdoor activities, whether you’re looking for something active, relaxing, or both. Check out some events in your area. Looking for activities in beautiful downtown Mocksville, Cooleemee or Bermuda Run/Advance? Sign up for a weekly email that will keep you in the loop.
SIGN UP NOW FOR
Weekly Event Info.
- Create your own costumes for Halloween. Try your hand at face painting or let your kids watch a YouTube tutorial and create their own look. Keep it simple with a family theme. Don’t forget to get a ton of pics!
- Head out for Trick or Treating. The Town of Mocksville has a huge Halloween bash that fills up the entire downtown area every year.
- Get on board with a family game night or movie night.
- Bake up something delicious and easy like rice crispy treats, or get messy by making a fall classic like caramel apples.
- Stay overnight on a farm or at a historic Mill House Cottage. Or take a camping trip. Soon enough, it will be winter, so get in all the outdoor fun you can.
Davie County Fall 2023
It’s The Great Pumpkin! Movie: Oct. 6, 2023, 7 p.m.
The Mocksville Oaks Festival: Oct. 14, 2023, 10 a.m. – 8 p.m.
Koren Farms Hayride: Oct. 14, 6 – 8 p.m.
Farmington Fall Festival: Oct. 21, 2023, 10 a.m. – 7 p.m.
Koren Farms Day of the Dead Event: Oct. 21, 6:30 p.m.
Holly Lane Haunt: Oct. 28, 29 & 31, 6:30 – 10 p.m.
RayLen Vineyards Fall Market: Oct. 21, 2023, 11 a.m. – 5 p.m.
RayLen Hallowine Pumpkin Carving: Oct. 27, 5 – 9 p.m.
Halloween Bash in Mocksville: Oct. 31, 4 p.m. – 9 p.m.
Halloween Spooktacular: Oct. 31, 5:30 – 8:30 p.m.
Line Dancing at Koren Farms: Nov. 12, 2 – 6 p.m.
The Perks of Visiting a Small Town
The perks of visiting a small town are many: free parking, fun activities, and a break from the usual. Whether you take off for a weekend getaway or stop by Davie County just to enjoy a day trip, we hope you will create some new traditions this fall. Fill up your bucket list with a few affordable ways to celebrate the change of the season. Make your list and then get out there!